It's no secret that the bulky and awkward design of 'Micro' USB connectors has long been problematic—especially its unidirectional orientation insertion requirement. While not nearly as elegant as Apple's Lightning connectors, the new USB Type-C connectors promise better than the downright awful existing standard. According to the USB-IF press release:
Key characteristics of the USB Type-C connector and cable solution include:
- An entirely new design tailored to work well with emerging product designs
- New smaller size – similar in size to the existing USB 2.0 Micro-B
- Usability enhancements – users will no longer need to be concerned with plug orientation/cable direction, making it easier to plug in
- The Type-C connector and cable will support scalable power charging
- Scalability – the connector design will scale for future USB bus performance
Several trade publications have covered this story.